Now that we all fit in - how do we stand out?


Disclaimer! This is a vent session, I haven't developed my ideas completely.

Today, while I sat in the car listening to Mike and Kenny (my younger but bigger brother) discuss the world of hip hop...one theme kept arising - "unoriginality" (I had to create a word for this post).

In fact, this conversation happened just last night when one of our friends blurted "man, so many artists are just starting to sound alike."

So at first, my thoughts were "everything is the same now," but after two days of dealing with this thought, I realized that statement isn't true because there are a lot of different things being tried.

But at the same time, I guess the idea is that everything that pops in today's society is copied. It's just what happens - the reality t.v. craze, audio tunes, music about women, cars, and money, skinny jeans for men, etc.

Today is such a copy-cat world, I mean from fashion to hip hop to blogs. It just feels like everyone is doing the same thing. Please believe I am not exempt from the frustration verbalized in this blog, in fact, right now I feel like my life is the inspiration behind it!

But I question if it feels like everyone is doing the same thing because everything is being done. There are no rocks left uncovered...or are there?

I feel like right now there is something for everyone, so everyone chooses what's out and they follow it.

Back in the day, there were few examples of skateboarders that enjoyed hip-hop - so N.E.R.D comes and they fill that slot. The group and sound were original and gave people that relate something to follow. This has happened when dealing with food, fashion, writing, etc.

So, now that there aren't many obvious niches missing, we just fall in tune to what feels right and where we believe we fall. In today's society there feels like there is something for everyone - Pop princesses are captured, outsiders are captured, jocks are captured, artsy folks are captured and so on.

So, now that we all have a place to fit in - how do we stand out?

Popular Posts