A Man Should Always Pay For the First Date

So, yesterday I was talking to a friend of mine and she was telling me a story about one of her close friend's recent date tradegies, she let me know that she would like me to share the story, as long as a few details were the changed and the outcome remained the same. She wanted to hear what I thought and what other's thought, because it is such a weird topic. At first, I was apprehensive because I am extremely old fashioned and didn't want to get blasted for being so...but then I thought "whatever"

So here is the story and you tell us what you think:

My friend's friend's name will be "April" and the guy's name will be "Hank".

Background details: April is in med school and Hank just got out of his MBA program and is working for "P&G" April and Hank know one another through a mutual friend, they began talking on the phone about a month ago. April is feeling Hank something crucial.

Phone Convo - 7.1.2009:

Hank: Man, I am so ready to own my own business - but I need to keep this 9-5,

April: You don't like your job?

Hank: Nope, but it brings in mad money. And you know I love to splurge, so I may be working at P&G for a while.

April: I hear that. So, what are you up to this weekend?

Trying to go out to eat - you want to go to P.F. Changes on Friday night? And then maybe out to Mix for some drinks?

That sounds nice

Friday, 7.3.2009 7:35 pm.

Hank: You look good in that dress.

April: Thank you, you look good, too.

Hank drives them to P.F. Changes. He orders a bottle for the table, appetizers, main course and dessert. April is enjoying herself, she's likes being treated like a princess, heck it's been a while. And the fact, that Hank has taken complete control of ordering, is usually something that would turn April off, but tonight it's perfect. Hank is talking some good game and his drive is a major turn on for April. He's even thrown out the idea of them being a "power couple". She is loving the ring of couple coming out of Hank's mouth. They are talking and vibing - the night is perfect, she can't wait for drinks afterwards.

9:35 pm - the bill arrives.

Hank: Is this on you?

April: sits silently - in shock...he's dead serious.

Hank: Oh...it's on me...(sigh) and hands his credit card to the waiter...he's slightly annoyed.

April: I actually want to go home now...

After I heard this story, all I could do was scream - are you kidding me! He thought she was going to pay for the date? I know that I am old fashioned, but my friend and I talked about this situation for over 10 min. we were both shocked. Why did he even ask, doesn't he know that on a "real first date" (not two friends going out or the second date) a man should always pay!

I get the whole dutch on the third or even the second date. And I will even take in a a few extreme cases, but in general, shouldn't a man always pay on the first date? And when is it appropriate for the woman to pay in full for the first date?

What do you guys think? ladies?

Popular Posts