What's A Soulmate?

To be honest, I have had this entry for a long time but I wanted to wait to publish it. It's one of those really sensitive subjects that I didn't know if I wanted to explore on the blog but on my anniversary I have kahunas, so here you are folks : )

A friend and reader recently wrote me:

"soul mates...what is a soul mate? is there only one? does one have several? can someone become your soul mate? or do you just have one out there and hopefully you find them? what if you don't? if you meet someone and you believe they're your soul mate and then they die and you meet someone else, can that person be your soul mate? or was the first one your soul mate? can you have a soul mate but a romantic relationship just doesn't work with them? are they really your soul mate then? I'm interested to know your thoughts on this matter and other people's thoughts as well. people read and comment on your blog, so blog away darling."

When, I saw this question, I knew there was no way that I could answer it. To be honest, I know Mike is my soul mate, there is this connection that I can't describe (it's different than love) but I don't completely understand it myself. So, I went to the woman that truly knows. A woman that for my entire life called her mate "her soul mate" and after over 50 years of marriage and death, she still believes he is her one and only soul mate - I talked to my grandma: Norma Jean.

The following is from the pen and paper of Norma Jean:

Soul mates...what is a soul mate?.....
My belief, you can only have one soul mate and a soul mate is one of two people compatible w/each other most likely in disposition, viewpoint & sensitivity. Additionally spirituality, respect & love for each other. After all you're sharing one soul, right? However, I must say that I believe your soul mate isn't always the person that you are in love with.

Bob Yancey is my soul mate. And everyone must understand that you are not necessarily your spouse’s soul mate. Your spouse may share their soul with someone else and heart with you, which is the dilemma that has always concerned me. During disagreements between me and my husband, I would always get really upset and question whether I his mate? Correction, I knew I was his mate – but was I his soul mate?

And although Bob is dead, regardless of whom I meet I cannot have another soul mate.
The soul never died, it lives on. So, Bob will live as my mate always. So, regardless of where Bob is and I am even if separated by death, we are not only in love with each other - he is also my one and only soul mate.

No. I do not believe we choose our soul mates. In fact that's a question I plan to ask God when I see Him and Bob (and I can’t wait to see him again). So often I believe a person's first love is their soul mate. I have talked to so many of my older friends and for the remainder of their lives I have been told they often think about their first love. I believe you can have a soul mate and do not have or want a romantic relationship because you are already involved with the person you are in love with. To me, to love and be in love is from the heart, but that special connection that only happens once is through the soul.

What do you think? Please take the "Soul Mate" poll, leave a comment and if you aren't already, please sign up to be a public member (it's really simple - just click "join").

Love you all,
Shelby S.



Popular Posts