It's Me & Mike's Second Year Anniversary

Eight years, six months and one day ago, Mike asked me to be his girlfriend in his car in the middle of Middletown, Ohio:

Mike, I'm not going to be kissing all on you if I am not your girlfriend.
Fine...then be my girlfriend
Well, I am not the best girlfriend
I mean, I've never had a girlfriend - so who knows what kind of boyfriend I'll be
Man, that's not good...we may both suck
Okay, but we can suck together (he's smiling...)..no seriously, we can learn as we go
Enough said, I'm your girlfriend (I'm beaming) - so here are my rules:
Not now, we'll have time
I sit back smiling, because something in my gut tells me that this promise of time is true...
We will have time.

Five years, three months and nine days later, Mike is on one knee at my college graduation in Oxford,Oh. right as I cross the stage:


Mike is nervous...shaking...on one knee...babbling
Spence is on the sidelines smiling, there are pictures being taken, people staring
Men sitting on the sidelines are screaming "take your time, brotha" - "think about it!"
Mike is still babbling - words aren't coming out...the ring is way too small
He is going to stay on his knee until he gets out the words (he's such a trouper)
But no worries, baby, I know what he wants to say - so I scream
"YES, MIKE STEEL, I'LL MARRY YOU."
Pull him up, kiss him, take the ring that's hanging on the tip of my ring finger....
Sit down, Melissa and Jessica pull out lotion - we are going to get this ring on...
Whew...it's on!
(It takes Windex and two sales employees to get it off months later only after we begin to notice my finger is swollen, numb and redish purple - once off my finger there is a cut completely around my ring finger)

Three years, two months and 23 days later, I'm in New York City sitting alone:


Mike has left for work but before he left, he wrote me a letter and made some coffee and I sit here and thank God, that I am so blessed for bringing me the man of my dreams, my soul mate and true love! As I told him this morning before he left:

Two down and at least 48 years to go...hope see you all at the 50th anniversary party.

Love you all,
Shelby

P.S. Please feel free to write me about your love stories - I would love to post them here...it's not Essence but it's a venue where you can broadcast your love for your Love!

Popular Posts