In Another Lifetime: Part IV

Read part I, part II, part III before reading this or just click "Digital Novella" on the right to read all three parts together.

My friends were right, like most of the women that I know, I had experienced a lot when dealing with guys

My story starts after college, I decided to stay with my college boyfriend who expected to go to the pros for football "he was focused, babe" but instead of being focused on solely football and me - he was focused on the sideline bench, parties, traveling with the team and his bachelor lifestyle. So due to neglect, assumed cheating and distance - we broke up, which he seemed fine with at the time, but due to fairly regular "blue-moon" phone calls (ending with I miss you and girl, you need to come back) and our dates (when we are both in the same area), I'm not sure where he stands. Moving on because that is a different story completely.

Next came my stint with a intelligent, passionate, and funny local football coach and math teacher, but I soon learned after a bathroom visit, at a happy hour, that he was known for getting it in with female teachers and currently while dating me was enjoying night visits with a mother of one of his students. "She needs help raising him without a male in the home" was his excuse. Is that why the little boy was always over his dad's house while my teacher friend had "parent-teacher" conferences.

Before moving to New York, I briefly dated a loud, diamond encrusted, t-shirt, jeans, and Tims barber that insisted after three dates, we were meant to be. Besides being super on it, I was completely taken back by his crazy excessive lifestyle and all his material goods...just a barber are you? So, I was happy to walk away from that when I moved to New York.

The first dude that I began dating in New York was a construction worker that I met at a bar with a bunch of my girls. He was the stereotypical man's man...beer in hand, clean white long sleeve shirt, baggy jeans and some boots. He had huge dimples, a strong New York accent and amazing eye contact. The whole night I felt like it was just us in the room...in fact the one date we went on and our night time phone conversations felt so intimate...that was possibly because we always had to talk in the late night (I worked incredibly long hours and he worked the evening shift)...so during our phone calls, it was just the stars and us that is until I sent him a text and later got a call from a woman.

"Can, I speak to Fred?"
"Who?" I answered groggy.
"Fred"
"I don't know a Fred...you have the wrong number," I siad as I got ready to hang up.
"Well, who sent a message to Louis?"
"I sent a message to Louis," okay now I am confused.
"Why are you texting my Louis...my husband?"
GREAT...I get it. I was "Fred" in his phone...so that his wife wouldn't find out we were talking. Just GREAT.

Needless to say that was over at the moment of realization. In fact, I swore off relationships until I met Tre, who happens to be the reason that I left New York. Gosh, I should have stuck to my guns.

Tre was a managing editor of the magazine that I was working at. He was technically my boss's boss's boss...or something like that... either way he was older (by about four years) and way more successful at the magazine than I was. Not only did he have the say so of every fashion story that went into the magazine, he did all celebrity interviews (because he had the contacts), and he was a big deal at the magazine. Everyone knew that he was going to be somebody's editor-in-chief pretty soon. In fact, according to the grapevine he had the opportunity but had rejected it several times. He had a reputation for working hard, partying hard and trading in his arm candy constantly (models/actresses were his favorite). And as soon as I was in his presence - I got it. He was incredibly handsome his look straddled Pharrell's and P. Diddy's...confusing but true and his mere presence was intense. So much so that when being introduced to him, I choked on my tongue.

After that day, I had decided never to try to talk to him again, even if majority of the nights he and I were the last people in the office. Plus I knew that my avoidance of him was only in my head. He wasn't aware of my silent treatment, because when walking passed him - he would be so stuck on his blackberry or surrounded by people that he wasn't even aware of my presence; however everything changed quickly the night that I decided to accompany Tana at one of her industry parties.

Tana is that friend that always has something amazing happening. She is young, single and in the entertainment business - she knows everyone and everyone WILL know of her. So, when she called me and three of our other friends to come with her to a party, I was ecstatic. That night, I put on my extra tight black dress with room in the hips. The dress had a low neck and back. I then slid on my highest black stilletoes and did my hair in crazy big, loose curls with a side part. I wanted to look sexy and wild all at the same time. I was ready to have the time of my life....and I did. Me and my girls were in the center of the floor actin' a fool. Until I felt a hand on my back, "so, I guess you aren't as boring as I thought." What!?! I was so offended...but when I turned around and saw Tre standing there...I quickly replied "guess not" as I smiled at him. He smiled back and at that moment I knew something was happening but I had no idea that after spurting out those two words my life was about to change drastically...

Part V coming soon....

Popular Posts